North Carolina decided to make Earth Day a gross, rainy, and chilly day so no playing outside for me.
Instead I decided to follow through on my random plan to make a terrarium!
It didn’t turn out anything like I had planned but overall i’m pretty happy with the end result. I would like to
make buy a desert terrarium similar to the one in my earlier post at some point. The Walmart garden center was lacking in it’s selection of desert foliage and by lacking I mean they had none.
So here goes my little Sunday afternoon D.I.Y. terrarium project. My only goal was to make it NOT look like a middle school science fair project. The verdict is still out on whether I succeeded or not.
Base layer of rocks. I didn’t buy enough so I had to improvise a little bit.
I have a random collection of rocks from my various travels that have been sitting on my bookshelf so they got repurposed. I don’t remember where I picked up most of them but included are some petrified wood/rocks and some small pieces of the Grand Canyon from my cross country trips.
I went out in the wood behind our place and found some moss which they say to put as a layer between the rocks and soil. This plan backfired as it had a lot of NC red mud in it and just got all turned up when I tried to bury the plants.
I ultimately scratched the moss idea and just did rocks and soil. This is also around the time where I almost threw in the towel (literally).
Here ya go…the end result!
The orange/red thing up front is some lichen I found outside when I was hunting for moss. It is apparently called British Soldiers because it looks like the uniforms the soldiers wore during the revolutionary war. Pretty cool!
The plants I included:
Dwarf Celosia - the one with the fuzzy maroon center
Fern of unknown variety - on the far right
Dusty Miller - the white/pale green thing in the back
I was really hoping the pretty blue glass/rocks would be more prevalent but they should serve their purpose (drainage).
Here to hoping I can keep this little sucker alive for more than 2 weeks!