Posts tagged plastic bags
An article on the importance of switching to reusable grocery bags caught my attention while I was scanning the news during my lunch hour.
I constantly struggle with this one because it doesn’t seem like retailers are trying to help make the transition any easier. I have been carrying around reusable totes off and on for about 7-8 years now. When my parents moved to Switzerland in 2003 we got turned onto the idea of using reusable grocery bags. In Europe most stores charge you a small fee for plastic bags. Although the fee is fairly negligible (5-10 cents) they strongly encourage the use of reusable bags and frown upon people using the plastic bags that they charge for.
This was one of my new years resolutions that I of course didn’t write down but rather just made a mental note to become better about.
- I ask for no bag if I am only purchasing one or two small things (particularly gas stations, retailers, etc.)
- I pull out a few of my handy envirosax that I keep stashed in my purse and have them on the ready for grocery shopping. Most of the time the cashier at Walmart gives me a look like “seriously, you are holding up the line” but I push past that.
- I offer to bag the groceries myself and just start tossing things in, breaking all of the rules as far as what things are technically supposed to be packed together.
- I used to keep a bunch of those $.99 cloth bags in my trunk but I NEVER seemed to remember to actually bring them INTO the store with me. Keeping the little rolled up bags in my purse ensures that I almost always have them on hand.
- I am slowly starting to integrate these bags into mall and other retail shopping.
I especially like Envirosax
because they don’t require a small bag to hold them instead they roll up and fasten closed. I’ve used a few others and I could either never get it back into it’s pouch (same reason I was never any good as sleeping bag rolling as a child) or I would lose the little pouch. I am now borderline obsessed with them and although I had a good number I recently ‘splurged’ on the Groupon deal that they had and picked up 4 more. Even Abbey cat likes the new bags!
Then of course I see that they released the Marina and Surfrider series and I am trying to find an excuse to buy just a few more of these pretty little totes.
My motivation is that “It’s estimated that 1 million birds and thousands of turtles and other sea animals die each year after ingesting discarded plastic bags.” The cashier giving me a dirty look and the tiny amount of additional effort and time it takes to bring a reusable bag for groceries is definitely worth it!
Note: I am not associated with or supported by Envirosax, I’m just a really big fan!